If you had the “luck” to forget the password, follow the steps below:
- Start /restart the OS.
- Immediately after loading the GRUB bootloader, press ESC.
- If the “linux” entry is highlighted press “e” for editing the kernel line before booting.
- Press “e” to edit the kernel line.
- Type on the command line: init=/bin/bash
- Press “b” for booting.
- After restarting, type cat /proc/mounts to verify the rights for editing the system's files; you will be given this info:
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw,noatime,errors=continue,commit=5,data=ordered 0 0
- Type mount -o rw, remount/ if you have no editing rights for root.
- Type passwd and write the new password.
- Type sync to ensure file system integrity.
- Type reboot.
Note: The steps for the LILO bootloader are a little bit different.